All memberships are based on the calendar year. To join or renew and pay dues later in the year, simply indicate on the form when you wish to be invoiced.
Organizational members may select staff or board representatives to receive the following benefits:
- Advance notice and discounted rates for GIA's annual conference
- Access to the annual snapshot of arts funding, Foundation Grants to Arts and Culture and Public Funding for the Arts and other research and articles
- Free access to GIA online learning tools, including webinars
- Weekly electronic Member Bulletin featuring the latest news and information
- Invitations to national or regional convenings of arts funders reflecting current trends in arts grantmaking
- Members-only section of the GIA website and online Member Directory
- Opportunity to submit news items for possible inclusion in GIA news
- Opportunity to vote for GIA's board of directors
Private foundations, public agencies, and corporate giving programs
Organizations whose primary activity is grantmaking and who are legally incorporated as private foundations, community foundations including donor-designated funds within community foundations, corporate giving programs, and government entities are eligible for membership.
Nonprofit organizations whose primary activity is grantmaking must meet all of the following criteria:
- Grantmaking represents at least 15% of the organization's total budget
- Grants are made to benefit the nonprofit arts sector, individual artists and the general public and not solely to organizations or individuals connected to the grantmaking organization (example: individual artists to exhibit in the nonprofit organization's gallery space; performing artists to produce product for the grantmaking organization)
- Grantmaking as a program is prominent in the organization's mission, literature and website
Nonprofit organizations that serve and provide programs for a national arts constituency and are concerned with public arts policy and nonprofit sector funding are eligible for GIA membership as National Partners. Please note that board members of National Partners are not eligible for all member benefits. Organizations wishing to apply for National Partner status should contact the GIA office at email@example.com.
For organizations whose policies prevent membership, staff and trustees may still be able to participate in GIA. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Dues Announcement
Member dues are part of the income that allows GIA to provide our services to our members.
GIA recognizes that non-profit organizations face the burden of using the funds they raise to pay member dues. Therefore, nonprofit funders’ membership dues, and National Partners’ membership dues are lower than those of our foundation members.
|Arts Grantmaking Budget||Dues|
|Up to $999,999||$500|
|$1,000,000 – $1,999,999||$1,000|
|$2,000,000 – $4,999,999||$1,250|
|$5,000,000 – $9,999,999||$2,500|
|$10,000,000 – $19,999,999||$3,500|
|$20,000,000 or more||$4,500|
Dues for National Partners are $600, regardless of budget size.
GIA recognizes that the pandemic has constrained the tax base that allows public agencies to support arts and culture in their communities. Therefore, GIA is granting free membership to public agencies in 2021.
If you represent a public agency, please contact us at GIA@GIArts.org to discuss or update membership.
Family and Independent Foundations, Corporate Foundation/Giving Programs:
|Arts Grantmaking Budget||Dues|
|Up to $999,999||$550|
|$1,000,000 – $1,999,999||$1,100|
|$2,000,000 – $4,999,999||$1,400|
|$5,000,000 – $9,999,999||$2,800|
|$10,000,000 – $19,999,999||$3,800|
|$20,000,000 or more||$5,000|
As an expression of support for the sector, we ask our foundation members to please consider lending further support to GIA to help mitigate the public agencies’ lost member dues so that we may continue to secure their perspectives to inform all our work.
Funding Partners are members who make grants to GIA above the standard dues structure. Visit Funding Partner Levels and Benefits or contact Sylvia Jung, Senior Development Manager; at email@example.com.