2020 GIA Virtual Convening
Power, Practice, Resilience | Remix’d
In the spirit of a classic New York City tradition, of course we mean hip-hop, Grantmakers in the Arts welcomes you to the remixed 2020 GIA Virtual Convening. While we will not be anchored in any one city, we will have a unique opportunity to connect from each of our home communities to reflect on the challenges the cultural ecosystem faces - rooted in systemic racism and amplified by the coronavirus pandemic – and imagine new systems of power and practice for a more resilient future. In this spirit of our original intentions for this gathering, we honor the tremendous inventiveness necessary of both resiliency and creativity. We commit to taking the best of disparate elements to make something new, a reinvention, a remix.
Join us on Mondays this November to connect, share, and learn with artists, colleagues, and peers during our first-ever virtual convening.
2020 Planning Committee
- Maurine Knighton, Doris Duke Charitable Foundation (co-chair)
- F. Javier Torres-Campos, Surdna Foundation (co-chair)
- Anita Contini, Bloomberg Philanthropies
- Susan Feder, Andrew W. Mellon Foundation
- Kerry McCarthy, The New York Community Trust
- Eddie Torres, Grantmakers in the Arts
- Nadia Elokdah, Grantmakers in the Arts
Mequitta Ahuja, Fount (2009), 36" x 156", oil based charcoal on paper. Learn more about Mequitta Ahuja